Saturday, January 26, 2013

Australia Day

Today is Australia Day. The Aussies here got everyone super excited for it and a bunch of exchange students flooded the residence lawn and set up shop to barbeque all day. It was amazing. It was amazing because we all supported their day. They were excited and we got excited with them. Reminded me of the Bible verse in Romans 12 stating "rejoice with those who rejoice." The exchange students definitely lived by this verse today.

Today was truly indicative of my experience here so far. Amazing. It's hard to put into words, but at the most fundamental level, life here is awesome because I live with 450 international students who all come from different cultures, backgrounds, and religions, but the most important factor (as I have stated in earlier posts) is that we are all human. That is the only similarity that one needs to belong here. Everyone is hungry to learn about other cultures and to share their own story. It has been so refreshing to be in a place with very little judgement. I have already learned so many things and had great conversations with everyone. Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Australians, Saudi Arabians, Iraqis, Europeans, Africans, Asians- it doesn't matter, everyone has something to give. Everyone represents a unique culture and has a value-adding story to tell.

However, the biggest thing I have learned in my experience in Hong Kong so far is that it is OK to be myself. Although I have learned so much from other cultures and religions, I have also grown to love and appreciate my own on a new level. This is not to say that my culture and religion are flawless, because they are most certainly not. However, I am proud to share my culture as well. I am proud to contribute to the melting pot of Hong Kong. I am American. I am a Christian. I am from the humble midwest. I am Landon. And I have never been more comfortable or proud to say so.

It's interesting, really- That it took traveling to the other side of the world to finally feel most comfortable in my own skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment