Monday, January 21, 2013

Culture Shock


Since coming to Hong Kong, I have not really experienced culture shock in the sense that I am anxious or overly stressed due to a difference in lifestyle- that being said, there are some cultural norms and customs here that are extremely hard to get used to.

The biggest difference I've noticed is the expectation to obey without question- it seems as if most of the locals live their lives in complete subordination to rules and regulations. For example, when I first arrived I did not have a student ID. Apparently the student ID is necessary for one to scan into the dorms- so, because I didn't have it the first few days, every time I wanted to enter my building I had to have a 10 minute conversation with the guard (who I have explained this to many times) because he was so intent on following procedure- intent to the point of being irrational in my opinion.

I am not suggesting that rules are bad or unimportant, it is just different because people follow them without question here. If you know me well, you know I don't like being told what to do- just ask my parents. So, it is definitely an adjustment coming here and being expected to obey without question. I guess the "without question" part is what bothers me the most- I want to question. I want reasons. I want to know why I am expected to behave in a certain way. And this desire is something that even Hong Kong can never take away.

You also see this attitude of rule following and subordination in the classroom. The professors, for the most part, encourage class participation, but if there is someone talking in class, it is always an international student. I am not sure if it is because they do not want to speak aloud in English (which is probably the case) or if they do not want to question the professor's ideals. In my experience at IU, the professors encourage debate and critical thinking- so far, most of the lectures have been three hour monologues, so I may have to start participating more just to keep myself from going insane.

Another big difference is obviously the food. I have had some of the most amazing meals in my life here, and I have also had some of the most repulsive- the trick is finding a local who can spot out the good places because there are literally thousands of choices in any given area of the city and there are definitely some hidden gems. Last night, I had the chance to go out with a local friend I made named Alson. He took me to a hot pot restaurant in Mong Kok that was absolutely killer. I can't wait to come back with my family and take them there. Among some of the more interesting things we cooked in the pot were pig intestines and cow stomach. We also threw in some normal things like oysters and beef, but even the more bizarre stuff actually tasted very good. I will have to make my mom and sisters try the more adventurous options. ;)

 Also, they don't split bills here, so that gets a bit obnoxious when you're out with a group of twenty plus.

One thing I absolutely love about this culture is the non-stop, fast paced life. Every time I got into the central part of the city, I just take a moment to look up at the beauty of all of the skyscrapers and realize how blessed I am to have an opportunity like this. It's unbelievable to look around and see the beauty and brilliance that humans are capable of creating. Other than the sky scrapers, the best example of human efficiency and brilliance can be seen in their subway system. It's amazing how many people can be moved from point A to point B in such a short amount of time and how easy it is to switch from one line to another. The signs are excellent and it actually makes a really complex city seem relatively simple.

All in all, Hong Kong, although much different, has provided me with such an enriching experience so far and I can't wait to learn more.















No comments:

Post a Comment