Monday, January 7, 2013

Earthquake- Unexpected beginnings.


Goodness, it is extremely difficult to wrap up my first two days in HK in a short enough blog that any rational human being has time to read. That being said, my first two days here have been absolutely incredible- in every literal sense of the word. In the US, many times we use words like “incredible” or “unbelievable” to describe phenomena such as video games or a mediocre football catch in a regular season game of very little consequence. However, I wish to convey my experience as incredible in every literal sense of the meaning- “unlikely to be true” or more accurately, “difficult to understand.” That has been my experience in HK thus far- impossible to understand without experiencing it personally. And I say that from more than just a culture shock perspective. I say that because I spent the first day of my time in HK with one of the most amazing people I have ever met- more on that in a bit.
            Initially, I say that HK is incredible, because unless you have been to Ladies Market in Kowloon and seen over 140K people living within a square kilometer you probably have not experienced what I am talking about. I mean wall-to-wall people as far as the eye can see inundating the local markets with billboards and fake iPods and Mac Books in abundance . Also, there is no sense of “personal space” because there is absolutely none to give. If someone bumps into you, which occurs AT LEAST every 15 seconds, there is no apology because it is completely normal- the way of life in Kowloon.
            Hong Kong also made an initial impact on me with its absolute breath-taking skyline. I was able to venture out to the harbor about a half mile away from my hotel and see the light show that occurs every night. It was absolutely stunning. Aside from the light show, which was actually very anticlimactic in comparison to the initial view of the Central Hong Kong district itself with the insane lights, the weather and breeze of the Pacific air added an element to the skyline view that created an instant sense in my spirit that simply stated, “Life is about experiencing moments this.” It is amazing to look at the skyline and gargantuan boats in the harbor and think- “Wow, mankind is capable of producing some extremely beautiful things.”
 And, I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this first moment that I saw the HK harbor that I would never be the same and I would never deny that man is capable of extreme beauty. In a world of madness and chaos, we are also capable of producing masterpieces. That’s what Hong Kong initially meant to me and I will never forget that initial shock. I know, it sounds absolutely cheesy and sophomoric, but unless you have seen the skyline of Hong Kong Island in person, I consider you opinion about as much as I’d consider a Fox News report on progressive liberal thought in America.
            I also say that this trip has been amazing so far because of my first day I spent with a new friend, Peter, hailing from the small, but mighty Ireland.
            I met Peter via a family friend and he was so gracious with his time and effort by agreeing to meet me at a train stop in HK when I first arrived.
Instead of taking me directly to my hotel, Peter insisted on offering his time in order to show me around the city. He also prefers Guinness, Americano’s, and U2, so we partook in all three endeavors throughout the day.
I spent the day following Peter and taking in as much of the city as I could. We also had the chance to talk about our upbringings in family life, politics, and religion, and I can say with much confidence that our conversations challenged me in more ways than I can currently express. Peter had a great deal of perspective and wisdom to share with me and I will never forget his hospitality or willingness to share his life and beliefs with me.
Sometimes you get lucky in life. Sometimes you meet people like Peter who are connected to you in a very uncommon and authentic way. And even more of an anomaly is this- sometimes these people connect with you and completely engage with you in a way that challenges how you see the world. That person, without any fraction of doubt, was Peter for me- and I am so thankful that Hong Kong, within less than 24 hours, has begun to shape me and change my life for the better.
God bless good conversation, new challenges, espresso drinks, pints of Guinness, and most properly, the IRISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment